How to use featureworks in SolidWorks.
Overview of featureWorks: FeatureWorks is an application included within SOLIDWORKS Professional+. It recognizes features on an imported solid body in a SolidWorks part document. It works to recognizes standard or sheet metal features of imported “dumb” models. You can recognize standard or sheet metal features when importing from neutral file formats such as IGES, STEP, Parasolid (.x_t, .x_b), SAT, and VDAFS. Recognized features are the same as features that you create using the SolidWorks software.
You can edit the definition of recognized features to change their parameters. You can use step-by-step recognition with automatic and interactive feature recognition or a combination of these methods. For features that are based on sketches, after you recognize the features, you can edit the sketches from the SolidWorks FeatureManager design tree to change the geometry of the features. FeatureWorks will also automatically add dimensions to features that it recognizes. Once these features have been recognized, they are added to the FeatureManager design tree to be modified similar to any other SOLIDWORKS features.
FeatureWorks recognizes the following features:
- Extruded or revolved features
- Chamfers on linear or circular edges
- Constant or variable radius fillets on linear or circular edges
- Ribs: extruded parallel to sketch, extruded normal to sketch, and ribs with negative draft.
- Draft features
- Holes. With automatic or interactive feature recognition, you can recognize these types of holes: simple, simple drilled, taper, taper drilled, countersunk, countersunk drilled, counter bored, counter bored drilled, counter drilled, and counter drilled drilled.
You can also recognize Hole Wizard holes.
- Lofts. Interactively recognize base-lofts.
- Sweeps. Interactively recognize boss and cut sweeps.
- Volume Features
- Feature patterns: linear, circular, rectangular, and mirror.
- Sheet metal features: base flanges, edge flanges, sketched bends, hem flanges, and miter flanges.
- Sketch Patterns. Using interactive recognition, you can create a sketch pattern from similar features that were created randomly. Partial imprints of features cannot be recognized. Creating a pattern of a pattern feature is not supported.
- Multibody parts. Recognize Multimode parts one body at a time.
Step by step use of featureWorks in SolidWorks:
First, import the geometry you want to work with, in this example we will use the above part.
Go to the side menu and right click on the imported part,
Click on featureWorks and select recognize.
We are going to select interactive mode and standard features as the features type,
In automatic features box, select fillets/chamfers.
After we have clicked recognize, this menu will show that chamfer was detected in the part.
Rest of the part comes under unrecognized body.
Go to featureworks options, select advanced features, and make sure these indicated options are unchecked.
Select automatic mode, and select holes, fillets/chamfers and exturdes.
Click on recognize.
A progress bar will pop up.
Let it reach 100percent.
All the features are now recognized.
You can see that the part which was imported had no features to display before but now after the application of featureworks, you can see the features of the imported part.
This saves the time of modelling the part over again and again.
Selecting different features, will highlight the features in the part. For instance, selecting these chamfers highlights:
Now to find patterns in the imported assemblies, go to find patterns.
Patterns are not shown directly as other features, because these are hidden features,
We can select different features of the part to know whether there is any possible pattern between them or not.
In this example, we selected two holes and found one linear pattern between them.
Similarly, different features can be seleted to find pattern between them.
Selection of holes while finding linear pattern between them.
After finding pattern between some other features too, we found that there was one mirror pattern and one linear pattern.
After clicking ok we can actually see an automated process where the assembly is made right from the sketch by solidworks using the feature recognition that we just performed.
Contact us for more information and help on FeatureWorks in solidworks at email@example.com or call 03 86770871